Wednesday 7 March 2007

19 year old me

This is a self-portrait I did when I was 19, so 10 years ago.

The serious look is partly concentration, partly the angle I was trying to draw myself from and partly because I really thought of myself as a serious Artist at this point.

I often wonder what 19 year old me would think of 29 year old me. I guess I would think I was a classic sell-out, sacrificing artistic credibility for a guarantee of paying the bills. And I'd be right about that.

But I hope that I would also recognise an ordinary bloke trying to earn a living. I think I'd respect me for that.

I hope I'd respect me for that.

I'm getting married in a couple of months and the big 30 is staring me right in the face so forgive me a little navel gazing.

4 comments:

Jeroen said...

very impressive. You surely have always had the talent for realistic characters. When I was 19 I still had to do my very first life drawing, and no way I would ever dare to post that on my blog. Thinking of it, I'm still not confident to show my latest life drawing on my blog, haha. I'd better stick to three fingered characters,... or slugs, or amoeba's

Foom Spectacular said...

Excellent Andrew. Great likeness, hatching and shading.

You looked like a very serious young man back then, compared to the jovial chap I know today.

Are you going to show anymore of your early work?

What about a cel from your animation of a man pulling a heavy object?

Bentos said...

You'd look serious if you drew yourself from that angle.

I might be able to dig some stuff out Mark. If only to show you that that anim was nowhere near as good as you seem to remember.

Nancy said...

It's a nice drawing, particularly impressive in such a young artist. Good work!